Who says you need to go to the gym to get healthy or to the spa to relax? With the right products, you can do both right from the comfort of your own home. If you want to make your home a healthy haven, read on for some great tips on staying in top form right where you live.
Exercise at Home
No matter what type of fitness routine you’re into, we guarantee you can get the same results at home with a pool or swim spa. Working out in the water is not only effective in burning calories and increasing muscle tone, but it also eliminates stress on your joints that come with higher impact exercises.
While traditional swimming offers a phenomenal workout, you can easily mix things up by adding in traditional land exercises. Some of the best water exercises are:
- Jogging — With water resistance, you can burn far more calories than jogging on a treadmill or in the park. Land running burns roughly eight calories per minute compared to 11 calories for aquatic jogging.
- Jumping — Rather than jumping rope, try doing jumping jacks or jumps with knee tucks in the water. Not only will this increase your heart rate, but it will also burn a lot of calories.
- Squats — One of the best exercises for toning your legs and backside, squats will get your heart pumping thanks to the added resistance the water offers.
- Leg Raises — Underwater leg raises pair cardio and strength training for super toned legs and glutes. Like squats, this will get your heart rate up, enabling you to burn a lot of calories.
- Bicep Curls, Shoulder Raises, and Tricep Presses — If you can find water dumbbells, these exercises are wonderful for strengthening your arms and shoulders. The added resistance of the water can really help to get you results more quickly.
Relax at Home
Why go to the spa for a massage when you can receive a first-class full-body experience in your own backyard? With a hot tub, you can enjoy all the benefits that hydrotherapy and massage have to offer.
The heat of the water in your hot tub not only relaxes your body and warms your muscles, but also strengthens the circulation of blood throughout the body. This is amazing for renewal and wellness as well as for pain relief. As blood flow increases, muscle tightness, swelling, and inflammation are reduced and the effects often extend well beyond the actual period of water immersion.
Jet massage enhances this by targeting key trigger points on the body. Most spas allow you to customize the massage according to your needs. One night you can enjoy a therapeutic massage, the next a reflexology treatment, and another a full-body experience.
No matter which style you choose, the massage aids in relieving tight and sore muscles while the heated water increases your body’s production of endorphins, a feel-good hormone that leaves you with a natural high.
Take Up a Hobby
Having interests that occupy you is great not just for your mental health and well-being, but for your body too. Even if your hobby isn’t physical, when you are relaxed and enjoying yourself, your body reaps the benefits.
We highly recommend a game room. Not only does this give you a pleasant way to fill your spare time, but it’s also something you can enjoy with your family and friends. One of the best additions to any game room is a pool table. It’s a game you can play on your own, with another person or even in teams. Other game room additions could include a dartboard, a ping pong table, or even a gaming system that allows for interactive games.
Ace Swim & Leisure
If you want to enhance your outdoor living space, Ace Swim & Leisure can help. Located in Northern New York, we stock only the highest quality above-ground swimming pools, swim spas, and hot tubs. Drop-in for a visit at any of our four locations to shop for all of your pool or spa needs. Whether you need an above-ground pool heater or an above-ground pool deck, we’ve got you covered.