Your swimming pool is a place to relax, get fit and have fun. And, if you take care of it, your pool will provide you with enjoyment for years to come. Let’s take a look at the five main reasons it’s so important to keep your pool clean.
1. It Keeps Your Outdoor Living Space Functional
When your pool is kept in good working order, your outdoor space as a whole will function better. When you can enjoy your time in the pool, it leads to the enjoyment of all your outdoor activities. Whether you plan to have a swimming party followed by a barbecue with friends or simply relax poolside with a good book after a dip, clean water is a must.
2. It Provides a Safer Environment
Not only does clear water look and feel better, treating your pool regularly is essential for your health. Untreated or dirty water can lead to some serious health repercussions such as a swimmer’s itch, a skin irritation caused by parasites in untreated water. It can also cause eye, ear, and throat infections and, if dirty water is swallowed, result in diarrhea, stomach cramps, and vomiting.
3. It Saves You Money
When you clean your pool on a weekly basis, it can save you a lot of money in the long run. Well-maintained pools have fewer problems and tend to need fewer repairs. When you regularly remove debris, clean your filters, and test and treat your water, there is far less chance of something going wrong.
4. It Increases the Longevity of Your Pool
To elaborate on the last point, good pool maintenance not only saves you money by avoiding repairs, it saves you money in the long run. That’s because well-maintained pools have a much longer lifespan. Pools with vinyl liners that are well looked after should last more than 20 years, although the liner will need to be replaced a few times.
How to Keep Your Pool Clean
Your weekly maintenance schedule should include:
- Skimming debris off the top of the water with a pool net. This may need to be done every few days, or every day depending on the weather and how close your pool is to trees.
- Your pool’s floor and walls should be cleaned thoroughly each week. The easiest way to do this is with a robotic pool cleaner which will take care of all of the work for you. If you prefer to do it manually, you’ll need a pool brush and a vacuum.
- Clean out the skimmer and pump baskets and check to make sure the filter is working well. A clogged filter will need to be cleaned.
- Test the chlorine, alkalinity, and pH levels in your water and adjust as necessary. Once your water is balanced, you’ll need to shock your pool and add an algaecide to keep your water clear.
If you don’t have the time or the inclination to keep up with regular pool maintenance, hiring a professional to take care of it for you is the best decision you can make.
Ace Swim & Leisure
Here at Ace Swim & Leisure, our first priority is our customers. And that is why we stock only the finest products such as Sharkline Pools. With more than 55 years in business, we‘re Northern New York’s top supplier of above-ground swimming pools. Drop-in at any of our four locations to shop for the best swimming pools for sale in New York. One of our experts would be happy to help you find the right pool for your home.